Friday 25 October 2013

The SAMR Model

Integrating technology in the classroom is not as easy as it seems. For the ones that use technology  in the class (or want to), the SAMR model is very useful to realize where we are standing towards the use of technology. I'll explain a little bit what the SAMR model is about:
This model offers a method of seeing how computer technology might impact teaching and learning. In this model we have 4 levels: S (Substitution), A (Argumentation), M (Modification) and R (Redefinition).

Substitution: 
Computer technology is used to perform the same task as was done before the use of computers.

Argumentation:
Computer Technology offers an effective tool to perform common tasks.

Modification:
This is the first step over the line between enhancing the traditional goings-on of the classroom and transforming the classroom. Common classroom tasks are being accomplished through the use of computer technology.

Redefinition:
Computer technology allows for new tasks that were previously


Having given you a brief introduction to the SAMR model, I can say that I'm in the level of Argumentation. The Substitution level is an easy one, I think most of us, teachers, have printed a test instead of using a sheet of paper and our handwriting. Regard the Argumentation level, what I usually do is send my students links to do exercises online, to practice for tests or to revise contents that we saw. This is very usefull and I got great feedback from students. They really like the idea of doing exercises online, since they spend most of their time in the computer. And also some online exercises have games and that is very motivating to students.
I will try to do my best to achieve the last level, even though I know it's very difficult to accomplish because of the external factors that are involved in education.

So... what about you? In which level are you now?

No comments:

Post a Comment